A close family member had to go in for a scary medical procedure so we wanted to deliver a get-well-soon dish. So often people make a sugary desert or white flour laden pasta in this type of situation, which of course does nothing for helping people get well.
We opted to make healthy lemon bars instead.
The lemon bars are gluten, dairy, white sugar + flour free. They’re loaded with Vitamin C from the lemons. Vitamin C is beneficial to the immune system and has been shown to help speed recovery time post-surgery. The health benefits of raw, local honey are numerous, including being immune supportive. Before serving the bars, we even sprinkled probiotics on top for extra immune system love. And no, you can’t taste the probiotics. At all.
Here’s how we made them:
- 1 ½ cup Blanched Almond Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Fresh Ground Cinnamon
- Juice of 4 organic lemons
- 1/3 cup raw local honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, and coconut oil in a bowl. Press into an 8x8 baking dish. Bake @ 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Beat eggs and blend in lemon juice, honey, and coconut oil. Stir in lemon zest.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over crust after crust is finished cooking. *Slowly is key because otherwise the crust can get loosey-goosey and float to the top of the lemon mixture.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for an hour or two to set.
We’ll be delivering these along with marinated broccoli. Making both of these dishes took under 45 minutes in the kitchen and are sure to be a hit at any meal delivery, potluck, or even just a weekend snack at home.