Acne. Not cool as a teen and even less cool as an grown up. I mean, c'mon now. We should have a free pass for gorgeous skin and a perfect waistline just for waking up and adulting every day!
The good news? You don’t have to struggle with this anymore. Today I'm going to give you the exact steps I take with my patients to clear up their skin once and for all. Your skin will be clear and glowing before you know it.
- Clean up your diet - I know you’re probably rolling your eyes thinking, been there. Heard this. Cutting out sugar is old news. Of course it is. But have you tried a full on elimination diet. To do an elimination diet, you basically cut out commonly allergenic foods (gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, corn, citrus, pork, peanuts, artificial ingredients, or anything else you suspect may be causing you a problem) for 3-6 weeks to reduce inflammation and identify food sensitivities. You’d be surprised at how much just doing this can change your life. Sometimes, I’ll have someone do this along with our 21-day detox program to support clearance and yield the best results.
- Fix Your Gut – The health of your digestive tract and the appearance of your skin go hand in hand. In fact, many problems such as migraines, allergies, asthma, immune dysfunction, thyroid dysfunction, blood sugar issues, and hormonal imbalances can all be traced back to gastrointestinal problems. It amazes how many people think that bloating, gas, constipation, and discomforts associated with eating are normal. Eating and digestion should be non-issues. You shouldn’t have any symptoms at all. If you do, something is wrong. What can you do about this? So many things! And please, don’t just grab yourself some yogurt or probiotics and think it’s going to fix it. There’s a little more to it than that. What we do is first look at your symptoms and dig in with some testing to determine where the source of the problem is. Maybe you need some gut repair support such as glutamine, slippery elm, or marshmallow root. Maybe you need digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid, or to clean up a gut infection. Maybe the problem now extends to your hormones and that is the area you most need to address. Either way, I highly recommend identifying exactly what the cause of the problem is rather than heading out to the health food store and picking up every supplement you see. And who can help you identify this…well…me! Keep reading and I'll tell you how you can get that assessment for free!
- Evaluate What You’re Putting ON Your Skin – This is a big one. What do we do when we have blemishes on our skin? We try to slather on a bunch of harsh products to get rid of them and then cover our entire face with makeup. There’s some problems with this. The majority of skincare and makeup include a concoction of chemicals that do nothing but make your skin worse. In fact, most contain parabens as well as synthetic dyes and fragrances that disrupt your hormones and compound the problem. They also include preservatives, which are important to reduce the growth of bacteria in your products. However, because the same preservatives are used in many of the products we use daily, the over-exposure causes us to develop sensitivities to the preservatives and our skin is breaking out to tell us about it. Does that mean I’m telling you to go makeup free for the rest of your life? Of course not. But I do want you to invest in using some good, quality products that are known for being the safest, highest performing products in the marketplace. If you haven’t heard, Beautycounter for me is hands down the best.
Top Three Products for Purifying Congested Skin
Charcoal Cleansing Bar - clarifies and detoxifies your skin without drying it out. Though charcoal has gained a lot of attention lately as a skincare ingredient, this bar contains a special type of charcoal powder, Binchotan, which helps to cleanse the skin and draw out yucky dirt, oil, and impurities. And while many charcoal products can dry out the skin, this product includes coconut and sunflower seed oils to prevent that from happening. We literally can’t keep this bar on the shelves it’s so popular!
Purifying Charcoal Mask -also extremely popular. It is a mix of mineral-rich mix of kaolin clay and charcoal, and works to gently exfoliate, draw out impurities, and soothe. The formula helps improve skin's overall condition by refining the appearance of pores and increasing elasticity. You can use this as a mask or an overnight spot treatment to zap out those pesky pimples.
In a clinical trial on this charcoal mask, they found:
10 minutes after first application - 90% reported skin feeling clean and renewed, 87% reported instantly refined skin and smoothed skin
After 2 weeks of use - 90% reported skin feeling clean and renewed, 94% reported that the mask absorbed excess oils, 97% reported refined and smoothed skin
Balancing Face Oil - a very simple way to moisturize skin and boost radiance. Now before you think, “Ack! Oil – not on this oily face!”, think again. Your skin is oily because it’s dehydrated, trust me. Unlike synthetic oils, which can sit on skin, our Balancing Face Oil is easily absorbed for the ultimate in hydration. Balancing Face Oil contains ylang ylang and wild chamomile—together they impart a delicate herbal-floral scent while rebalancing combination skin.
Other Things to Consider
Shampoo/Hair Dye – Do you have acne around your hairline? Your shampoo and conditioner can be to blame. Yes, it can have those same preservatives and chemicals we talked about in your makeup. But guess who hates natural shampoo and conditioner? This girl. The ONLY and I mean ONLY shampoo and conditioner that is both safe and actually works is Beautycounter. I’m telling you, it’s really, truly works. Bu-bye expensive salon products that are wrecking my hormones. And speaking of salon, you have to find one that uses organic, safe hair dye. That other stuff is super toxic and causes cancer. But that’s a whole other post.
Makeup Brushes – Easy to ignore but so, so important! Most cosmetic brushes on the market are commonly made from squirrel, mink, sable pony or camel hair. I use Beautycounter brushes because they are made only from animal hair-free taklon bristles. Taklon is smooth, safe, and void of allergens. It's a safe alternative for people who have allergies to animal hair. It's easy to clean, doesn't hold bacteria and doesn't shed. And don’t forget to clean your brushes regularaly with non-toxic soap. I use my Beautycounter wash to clean my brushes to ensure I’m not putting anything questionable anywhere near my face.
P.S. Obviously I’m a proud supporter of Beautycounter, and they do pay me for taking time out of my busy doctor/blogger/mom of 4 (almost 5) schedule to tell you about it. That being said, some people skip over the middle man (me) and order straight from Beautycounter. Don’t do that! I mean, you can. But that would stink. You know why? One, it's of no disservice to you to order from me - the price and transaction is exactly the same. However, I APPRECIATE your business SO MUCH that I hook you up. By ordering from me you are ensuring that you are in the loop for free products samples, discounted pricing specials, and more. So please, help a sista out and this sista will help you out in return! Keep reading. I've got your first special offer below!
Ready to give these products a try? I've got a gift for you!
Order 3 or more of the products mentioned in this blog from my website and receive a Complimentary Metabolic & Skin Assessment for free.
What will a Metabolic & Skin Assessment Tell You?
- Could poor digestion be contributing to your skin issues?
- Could blood sugar dysregulation be to blame?
- Are hormones to blame for your breakouts?
- What supplements and testing should you consider to clear up your skin from the inside out?
- And more!
How does it work?
- Place your order for three or more Beautycounter products from my website.
- Drop me a message that "Yes! I would like my Metabolic & Skin Assessment"
- I will send you an intake form to gather all of the information about your skin. You'll fill it out & return it to me. I'll send you over a 3+ page report of my recommendations so you know exactly what you need to do to turn your skin around.
My patients pay $199 for this kind of information in an initial office visit. All you need to do is to stock up on 3 or more Beautycounter products to support your skins health from the outside in and your Metabolic & Skin Assessment is free!
Oh, and don't forget that Beautycounter has a 60 day money back guarantee. I'm pretty sure you'll gush over these products when you get them but in case you don't, just pack em up and send em back for a full refund within 60 days. Done.